In person classes (maximum 3 couples)
What is Hypnobirthing?
Hypnobirthing is based on the philosophy that fear creates tension, which then creates pain. This is because when fear is present, the body cannot function as it should in labour due to the blood flowing away from the uterus and to the limbs ready for fight, flight or freeze.
Fear is not logical and cannot be controlled by the logical part of our brain. It is a primal instinct and there to protect us. The body responds to fear in the same way whether the ‘threat’ is real or imagined, because the body cannot tell the difference. So even if you know logically you are safe, the primal instinct of fear can kick in.
We are mammals and all mammals give birth easily when they feel safe. Things that can affect this are strange places, strangers and being observed.
When & Where?
Next course: Sundays 12th & 19th June 2022 in Eland Road, Croydon, Surrey
10.30am – 3.30pm (held over 2 sessions)
£300 which includes the Katherine Graves Hypnobirthing book, Relaxation MP3’s, practice folder & tea and biscuits
Why Hypnobirthing works
So hypnobirthing is a course of different techniques to teach the body and mind to stay calm so a woman can labour more effectively wherever she is and whatever the situation and whoever she is with. It is all what is learnt on the course and the practice that she does on her own and with her partner before the big day.
See what one of my Hypnobirthing clients says about the course below
1.Let go & relax – total relaxation for pregnancy & labour (25 mins)
2.Positive affirmations for a positive birth to repeat in your mind or out loud (10 mins)
Why is Hypnobirthing good?
I first discovered hypnobirthing as my sister’s birthing partner. We did a course together back in 2004 and although it sounds dramatic it changed my life. My sister gave birth so easily and didn’t use ANY pain relief! This isn’t because her birth was pain free, but she had practiced all that she had learnt on the hypnobirthing course.
Which Hypnobirthing course is best?
There are many great courses out there. Here’s why I think my course is also good. I am a trained hypnotherapist and hypnobirthing teacher and have been doing this work ever since 2006. The positive feedback has been huge and I have helped countless women to have a calm birth. I also trained as a midwife and graduated after three years of training in 2012. This gave me a whole new perspective on women giving birth at home and in the hospital. This is really where I saw the positive difference that hypnobirthing makes to women, their partners and their babies.
What you learn on the Hypnobirthing course
- Breathing exercises to help your body with contractions and the birthing stage
- Guided meditations/hypnosis to train the mind and body to be calm
- Guided meditation/hypnosis to increase your confidence in yourself and your body and release fear
- Massage techniques to help release your natural pain killers – endorphins
- Triggers to prompt your mind and body into a more relaxed state
- How the mind and body work together in labour
- How the mind works and how to make it work for you
- How your birth partner can support you and increase your relaxation making them an important part of the labour process
- Worries & what you want to achieve
- How the mind works
- Physiology of the body – hormones, muscles & the nervous system
- Power of the mind
- Breathing & visualisations
- Birth DVD
- Due dates
- Sweep & induction
- Asking questions
- Labour onset & stages of labour
- Confidence & Power
- Where to give birth
- Note to your midwife & birth preferences
- Developing relaxation
- Information & practice
- Birth DVD